Wednesday, April 30

Freely accessible science journals

Problem: 4/30/08 WAT reported a problem with "garbled" holdings statements on these two FASJ--International journal of obesity http://skyline.cudenver.edu/record=b2082032, and International Journal of Impotence research http://skyline.cudenver.edu/record=b2050546.
Holdings for both bib records in Skyline read: Jan. 01, 1997- le nd, 5 ca
The holdings should read: from 1997 to 5 calendar years ago
Since the user could not interpret the holdings, they were disappointed that they couldn't get full text access.

Assigned to:
Priority:
Status: resolved

Summary of solution: to be determined

Troubleshooting notes:
5/23/08 Confirmed problem fixed with SerSol May coverage load.
5/16/08 Discovered you can edit a "Coverage Spreadsheet Conversion Rules" to account for text like "5 calendar years ago." Should be fixed with next load. DP
5/5/08 It's not the MARC. It's III. This issue came up at a IUG session. The ERM is expecting a date with dd/mm/yy format. It cannot handle text like "5 calendar years ago." I think we should call serials solutions to discuss the best way to handle these types of issues -- enter custom coverage load or ask them to change the way they enter this information. DP
4/30/08 even though I can't download the complete Ser Sol excel spreadsheet (report.csv), I was able to download enough of it so I could look at these two records. In the start date -- end date columns, the dates are correct: 1997 5 calendar years ago translating to "from 1997 to 5 calendar years ago". It looks like a problem with the MARC holdings fields (Lib. has) handling this rather unconventional holdings statement. I need to brush up on my MARC holdings knowledge. I'll take a look at the MARC documentation at http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/ EJ

No comments:

Post a Comment